Jewish cemetery in Ostrowiec witokrzyski
Redaktor: Administrator   
Jewish cemetery in Ostrowiec witokrzyski – established in 1657. Located on a small hill and surrounded by trees. Like most Jewish cemeteries in Poland, during World War II, it was profaned and devastated by the Nazis. The tombstones were used to pave the streets and sidewalks in the town. The cemetery was located within the ghetto which was the scene of numerous executions of Jews. In 1957 the contemporary town authorities claimed part of the cemetery’s area to adapt it for the city park. Two hundred tombstones were preserved on the area of one hectare. Some of the saved matzevots were placed in one spot to create a miniature relic of a kirkut. Many matzevots still have the original traditional ornaments and inscriptions in Hebrew, Yiddish and Polish. The last record of a burial ceremony there dates from 1943.